Sunday, March 06, 2005

Focus on the economy?

My dream is that we, as Lebanese, whitness and participate in politics that focus on economic development and social welfare. There is a desperate need for the politics of our country to elevate to that level.

The sense I get from the opposition is that they do want to make that leap. Unfortunately there is a huge segment of the population - and politicians - who believe that the politics of confrontation and of identity (specifically "Arab" identity vs. other identities or sect vs. sect) must still be at the center of political discourse. Everything, in their view, must be held hostage to Lebanon's single-handed confrontation of Israel.

I almost feel like we are being pulled back by those who are scared they will be left behind in a new order; a new country. Why can't we lead? Why can't the educated, middle and professional classes lead the country? Why do we have to be led, or held back, by brutes who appeal to the basest instincts of the population?

Maybe we need a new political class. But then again, that's like wishing for pigs to fly. I'm starting to wonder how much will change in the comming months. Doubt is replacing hope; and all I can do is sit and watch....

1 Comments:

Blogger Raja said...

Amer,

the only thing I like about the political situation today is that the divisions do not cross sectarian lines. It is true that Hizballah leads one group, and Joumblatt (somehow) represents the other. However, both blocks cut through sectarian lines.

On the one side, you have Hizballah, Amal, Qanso, Qandil, Franjieh, Adnan Araqji, Arslan, Karame, etc, etc.... These politicians, to varying degrees, represent all of Lebanon's sects.

On the other side, you have a similarly diverse coalition.

My point here is that I don't want what I said to be misconstued as a swipe at the shi'a population!

I am merely disillusioned with what I called the politics of identity and confrontation. Wars and mutual suspicion have provided Lebanese leaders with the most convenient means to escape accountability.

They've always claimed: Why should I be blamed? It was the war! Or the fault of other "traitor" sects, etc, etc...

Lets just stop that, and call for politics that center on real issues, which deal with matters that effect the every-day lives of all Lebanese!

A suggestion: keep the political fault lines exactly the way they are today, and rename the two camps as: Liberals and Conservatives; or Social-Democrats and Conservatives; or whatever...

Then educate the politicians on what those terms actually imply, and start the political game over from scratch!

what do you think?

I think I'm seeing pigs fly... I must be going mad!

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home